Translate

Sunday 11 June 2017

Wonder Woman: Saving men's lives, whilst not saying 'I told you so'.

What an unecessarily long title for this review, but you know me guys and girls, I like to break the mould... or something.

So, let's talk about it, that film that most people have been on the fence about since the little snippet of the Wonder Woman character expressed in Batman vs Superman in 2016. It's funny to see, in reflection, that most of the super hero/ comic book fans I have spoken too (mostly all my friends and family!) haven't been so excited about this film compared to others in the DC franchise that came previous to this one. I wonder why... None the less, I found this film a great one, both in it's astounding effects, style and story line.

From pmcvariety.com
Like most other off shoots of comic book based films, I try not to let plots and stories that have unfolded in the DC universe influence or detract from a films narrative, which some of you may wag your finger at me about. I will be honest, although I do like reading comics, I have never really taken a deep interest in Wonder Woman, or even the Justice League (shock), which made that usual statement of not judging a film by its comic counterparts cover even easier!

The story we are introduced to first in the film is the land of the Amazons, where, like the mythical stories of history suggested, only women roam. The Amazon ladies fight and become warriors to protect the World from the possible return of that quirky God of War Ares, who turned against Zeus himself to show him that Human's were totally stupid and didn't deserve his love (Kinda like the oldest child in the family who really doesn't like the younger sibling.) These ladies kick total bootay and the young passionate warrior Diana convinces her Mother to let her train, and grows up to be a tremendous fighter. This is all well and good, everyone is happy and then a WW1 plane comes crashing down and that's when the real shindig happens!

I will not give any more of the story line away, but have to express some great attributes of the film further. The acting is great, the actors picked for the roles really make you fall in love, or hate them, which is always great, and I was extremely happy to see the wonderful Ewan Bremner in this film since I am so obsessed with Trainspotting at the moment. This film is also quite dark in some parts which makes a horror/psychological film lover like me very entertained, and this aspect really helps make the film very entertaining through out without being depressing or to happy.

From justjared.com
Throughout I nearly shed tears, both for the emotional and empathetic dialogue throughout, and because (okay, hold on to your seats, I'm gunna sound.... different) I was proud that I was seeing a woman, kicking butt, flirting, being emotional AND being brave all at the same time. This film expresses something that I am happy to see being formed and expanding throughout cinema and tv shows alike: a strong woman who doesn't compromise. This may be what you guys roll your eyes at, but it's true. I also like how this film shows lines in the characters faces, like literal age lines, maybe I have just ignored it before in other films, but from memory I've never seen many characters (dare I say, especially 30 and below something characters!) have normal, human face lines. I just loved that.  The rollercoaster of laughing, nearly crying, feeling proud, feeling scared and humbled really added to my over all experience of the film, and I really haven't felt so much during a film since I went to see Moonlight!

All in all, go and see this film, if you've lost faith in comic book films, or just want a change from the usual boy bashing boy baddie up (which do not let me fool you, I love for more than film purpose reasons....) movie that we see quiet a lot, and feel all the feels from this film.

Until next time,
Jessiefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment