Translate

Wednesday 24 October 2018

The Five Best New Horror Stuff on Netflix, according to me.


https://image.shutterstock.com/image-photo/halloween-pumpkins-candles-on-wooden-260nw-706780021.jpg
Hellow (spelt wrong on purpose!), and welcome to my new post! It has been a year and a few months since I last posted, I am once again sorry for in-activeness that you probably expected. I have been away for a number of reasons, mostly all personal: Work WAS a nightmare, it is still stressful, but I am much happier now! I didn’t really have the funds to see new movies last year, and to be fair, I only really go to the cinema in the beginning half of the year because that’s when all the exciting films come out (kind of lame). I also just don’t have much time to write, re-read my terrible ramblings, check my subpar spellings and then shove all the images and stuff on a blog for regular posts, and no matter how much I want to improve upon this, I must admit, I don’t think I will be able to change this so dramatically in the near future. Just be happy to read my random writings when you can!

Also, a little bit of a promotion here: My friend and his friends have a cool blog, which you would totally love if you like my silly stuff on here. The writers consist of Mexican English lit majors, so they have interesting articles based on films, tv series and all sorts of pop culture, give it a read here : www.inexistente.org

Anyway, on to the post you came to read….

The Five Best New Horror Stuff on Netflix (Because Five is a lovely round, odd number.):

The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell 
Now, if any of you actually know me in real life (good for you, but also I am sorry…) you will know that I love to bake and I am a spooky lady! Well, this show is the embodiment of my soul (other than, you know, my actual human body). It has a good plot running through the tutorial-esque demonstrations of Christine’s baking projects and there are totally terrifying puppet friends that accompany her during her presentations! These sidekicks consist of a mummified sphynx cat called Edgar, a feisty racoon named Rose and a friendly warewolf named Edgar, who, on the first episode, is welcomed into Christine’s house via a replica of the house but is made of cake! This twist on the usual cooking program we all either love or hate, really makes the series pop, and makes it multi-dimensional to the viewer, making it fun for all the family (even if that family consists of children!)

This program was just something I saw on the Netflix original recommended bar, and I am glad that I decided to watch it, as it is one of my favourite things to put on if I fancy something a little spooky, hella funny and makes me relive my childhood which consisted of all of those classic shows (mostly by my man Jim Henson) whose characters were puppets. It’s well good!

Image result for christine oconnells the curious creation
Via Reddit
Haunted
Now, you may also know I am a sucker for ghost programmes and narrations, and this show, I would say, is a ‘realer’ version of those ghost progs you see on the network ‘Really’ here in good old Britain. The first episode tells us the story of ‘The Woman in White’ now at first, I admit, I was thinking ‘Who the hell hasn’t seen a woman in white? (Also, why do ghosts always wear white? There better be an option to wear black when I’m a ghost!) But this story is totally raw! I won’t spoil it for you, you just need to check it out!

What I love most about the series is that the narrators (the people who have seen what they are talking about) are genuine, they express their emotions and they swear! Now, you may pull a face at that last remark, but if I were telling a terrifying ghost story, and it really effected me, then I tell you know, I would be swearing too! That fine detail signals to me that those who produced this series juist want the stories to be told, they don’t care if it is ‘family friendly’ (although I’m sure no ones first thoughts would be ‘My 5 year old daughter would love this ghost programme!’) they just wanna tell a story and remake the visuals of it, and I appreciate that so much!

https://images.popbuzz.com/images/21796?crop=16_9&width=660&relax=1&signature=2U6ZUxp_fJxofUM4qee6EGpgr4E=
Via Popbuzz.com
The Hunting of Hill House
Now, if you didn’t know about this programme then I think you must have been living under a rock for a while, everyone is talking about this brand-spanking-new series all over the gaff (all over the place)! The trailer looked great so I decided to give it a go. The first episode was a generous hour long and set up all the characters initial stories, and expressed the main gist of what the hell was up with that haunted Hill House.

The visuals were stunning, and the build up in tension was more mature than a lot of jump scare laced horror we are exposed to now a days (thank Jesus!) On a personal note, the second episode made me cry, as it deals with death as a whole (without spoiling anything) and when anything to do with death and the mourning of a person comes on, well, I reflect on my own suffering (I’m sure we all do, right?) This episode really was a mixed bag of genuine loss, mourning, reminiscing and horror, and I don’t think that all of the multitude of feelings that are linked with being scared are well and truly explored in most horror films, so it is nice to see and explore as the series goes on.

I definitely recommend for those of you who are well and truly into horror as a genre, and I cannot wait to see what happens next!  

https://assets1.ignimgs.com/thumbs/userUploaded/2018/10/2/housenetflixthumb-1538491479365_270h.jpg
Via ign.com
American Horror Story
The OG (Original Gangsta, not old girl as stated by a member of staff at my work, when I stated I am one…. L ) of horror on Netflix (which has also become a welcomed tradition to celebrate this wonderfully spooky time of year in my household!) , American Horror Story has launched their 7th series on Netflix (we won’t talk about series 8… That will be next years Halloween fun!) and it looks to be (I haven’t actually watch any of it yet…. Shock horror!) a real doozie of a series as it depicts the 2016 elections [which one day, we will all say ruined the World…] and the characters reactions to it. Now, I think you can understand the horror to come from that, as we have seen real life examples of it in the real World around us. This election has created terror of undying lengths, both politically, socially and well…. It’s just horrific….

*on a side note, I haven’t actually begun to watch this as I am one of those people that hate to finish something when there is nothing else to watch after it… I do the same thing to Big Mouth (again, I recommend!) and the previous entries in this blog post…. 

Image result for american horror story cult
Via tvline.com
Glitch
So this is a series that I don’t think gets premoted a lot on the old Netflix front page, which is a damn shame! I saw this as I relentlessly scrolled through the ‘series’ category, and hovered over its front images to see a very interesting twist on the old Zombie category.

Glitch is roughly about people who come back from the dead, we find characters roaming around naked (aww yeaaa) covered in ground stuff in a graveyard, the coppers come, and eventually the main guy, James Hayes (played by Patrick Brammal), sees his two years dead spouse.

What interests me so much about the premise of this series is that these recently reliving dead people are from all time periods, they don’t wanna eat those juicy braaaiiinnss, and well, just think of how you would feel if you saw your long time dead special people and they are fully alive once again. How nuts! On a side note, this series slightly reminds me of the awesome book by John Ajvide Lindqvist (writer of Let the Right One In) called Handling the Undead, due to the themes of loss and gain, and how that can kind of make you question your own sanity and life in general. The quality of the imagery isn’t so high on this one, and it kind of feels like a soap with dead people in, but I don’t, personally, think that that is necessarily a bad thing, also, it’s Australian, which is very different to see on British Netflix.

I am only onto the first few episodes, but I can tell that this show is a little gem in the sand, and I reckon you should at least give it a go.

Image result for glitch tv series
Via next-episode.net
The Round up
So, there you go, I am sure that most of you watch the majority of these shows already, sorry for not giving you too many 'totally underground, yet they are on netflix' shows that you could discover, but I was actually really inspired to write for the first time in ages. I hope that you will at least have lots of cool things to watch over the awesome Halloween period (either at the weekend or on the actual day) and that you are provided with the right amount of 'spooks' necessary to making this haunting time even more scary. 

Until next time, 
Jessiefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment